How to Amend Taxes That Are Already Filed – TurboTax Tax Tip Video

How to Amend Taxes That Are Already Filed – TurboTax Tax Tip Video

Hello, I’m Jill from Turbo Tax with some information for taxpayers who need to amend a past tax return. Making a mistake or unintentionally forgetting to report income or take a deduction isn’t the end of the world. In fact, the IRS receives many incomplete returns each tax year, which is why it allows you to make corrections by filing an amended return on Form 1040X. Before preparing the 1040X, it’s always a good idea to make sure that the statute of limitations won’t prohibit you from filing it. The statute of limitations refers to the amount of time you have to amend a tax return after it’s already filed. Generally, you have three years from the time you file the original return to amend it. The IRS allows you to amend most items on your original tax return, but the changes you make must be permissible under the tax law that applies to the year you are amending. Common reasons to amend a return are to increase or decrease the income you report, to add or eliminate a deduction and to change your filing status. Preparing the actual 1040X form is fairly straightforward. On the form you will see three columns labeled A, B and C. Column A mirrors the information from your original tax return, column B reports the net change for each line item and column C is the sum of A and B. For example, if you forgot to include a $1,000 charity donation on Schedule A, you will report the amount of itemized deductions you claim on the original return in column A. In column B you report the increase of $1,000 and column C reflects the updated amount of your itemized deductions. Whenever you make changes to a form or schedule
that you filed with your original return, you must prepare a new one and attach it to the 1040X. The last step is to mail a paper copy of the 1040X to the IRS address listed in the instructions. If you need to amend a tax return you filed with TurboTax, go to our website at and click on the Support tab for instructions. For more information about this and other tax topics, visit


  1. David Agogo says:

    I'm having to re-file my 2011 taxes filed with Turbo Tax. It does not warn you that the system does not file 1040NR. Thats annoying!

  2. JIMBO SLICE says:

    Fuck turbo tax …I payed for services and didn't get any….did an amend but for no reason…so called turbo tax twice only to be hung up on twice by some Indian woman …I will never use turbo tax again

  3. L. GT says:

    Turbotax too expensive. Hrblock better.

  4. JOHN RAGIN says:

    She says "Go to and click on the support tab for instructions" … Great, but there is no support tab.

  5. Tiffany Musser says:

    horrible video

  6. Miracle Love says:


  7. Margaret Hicks says:

    I have had to review a few of these videos  and google a few sites before I figured it out.  I even called IRS who told me that they could not help me !  The problem was nothing addressed my specific situation.  I needed to know where to put the interest I earned from my back account on the 1040X?   I think it goes under adjusted gross income.

  8. Mike Endsley says:

    Been using Turbo Tax for years with no issues. They make this shit easy and painless. First time I needed to amend my taxes, it literally took me 2 minutes to find out where to go. Come on people, it's not that fucking hard!

  9. kidfiesty22100 says:

    I have to amend my taxes and I had to print out about 30 pages of my info, but do I only send out the 1040x with the attached documents and keep the rest or send out all 30 fucking pages?

  10. Mack Debruin says:

    What are you supposed to put in "Step 1, Part D" where it asks for….
    -Federal change accepted on….and a date
    -NOL accepted on…and a date
    -State change

    I'm not sure what to put for this section???
    Show less

  11. maria gonzalez says:

    What a jerk. She most likely doesn't have a clue of what she's talking about

  12. ExcelMale says:

    where do you download the desktop version of the year you want to amend?

  13. 2233Brenda says:

    This is another scam to get you to pay money for nothing. Just make the correct changes on the form where you made a mistake on your 1040…you don't have to fill out the entire form that's why all these sites are acting dumb by telling you the obvious about filling out your name, address, etc, ..well duh…at the bottom of the 1040x explain the mistakes and attach a new form and write corrections on the new form and that's it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *